Something for You

Friday, August 20, 2010

Babe, the Dishwasher's Broken!!

Fantastic!  Just what I needed.  Our dishwasher has decided it has had enough of our "mess" and not work.  Oh sure you could put the soap in, close the door, push the buttons and it will turn on and "run." After the cycle is done I would open the machine and observe all my dishes sitting there... dirty.  Reminds me of when  I tell my kids to brush their teeth.  Oh yeah you see them in the bathroom over the sink with the water running, brushes scrubbing, toothpaste seeping out the tube but after a mom inspection... you guessed it.  Not the best cleaning. You appreciate the effort just hate the results.
In my quest to not get bent out of shape, after all I'm trying to get IN shape I thought of an old friend of mine.  His name was Dr. James Mullen and he was a psychologist in Dallas where I lived and worked for a couple of years.  I had just become a new mom and was feeling pretty overwhelmed with all the responsibilities that came along with motherhood.  I guess it was pretty obvious to him that my stress was getting to me.  He called me in to his office and wanted to just talk. Next thing you know I'm telling him everything.  It's hard to be a mom, go to work, cook dinner, clean the house, baby baths, be a "wife", make a dollar stretch, etc... Come to think of it, not much has changed.  Until Dr. Mullen told me this.  He said, "Karen, the next time you are sitting down folding the laundry I want you to take your baby's socks and breathe in that cute baby sock.  Hold them in your hands for 5 seconds and realize you have a baby to do laundry for.  A healthy, happy, big ol' baby." I did that that night and it brought me back to reality.
Which brings me to this.  Now that my dishwashers is broken I have to resort to washing dishes by hand.  Dishes that hold the food that we eat.  Dishes that feed a husband, a growing son, a precocious daughter and a blessed wife.  One by one I wash the plate slowly and carefully as not to drop and break it because I do care, I am grateful and there are hungry mouths to feed.  Oh, but as we all know the feeling does wear off and eventually I do want my dishwasher back.  So if you know a great repair man that can fix my dishwasher send him over my way will ya?

3 comments:

  1. Karen that is so awesome how you were able to change your not so happy moment, to a great life lesson!!!

    PS Call Mauro!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Karen. Your right, we have to stop and remember what it's all for. And that given the chance, I'm positive we wouldn't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! Ah, Nicki Woo i don't even wanna know why are were up at 2:28am!

    ReplyDelete